- Sightseeing Spots -Amanohashidate Tourist Information - https://www.amanohashidate.jp/lang/en/spots -

Kanayadani Temples

Last updated: September 6, 2018
このエントリーをはてなブックマークに追加

Kanayadani Temples

Also called “Teramachi”, Kanayadani is an area in Miyazu with several beautiful temples.  The temples are all historically significant with long histories.  The temples are very quiet and little traveled other than during the Yawarabi Festival in October. You can also enjoy cherry blossom viewing at the Kanayadani Temples in Miyazu if you visit in early April.

The main temples of the Kanayadani area are Kokushoji, Daichoji, Myoshoji, Busshoji, Honmyoji, Kyoouji, and Eishoin but there are more.

Kokushoji Temple was built in Kanei 2 (1625) to honor Takahiro Kyogoku`s wife`s father at the time of his death.  The temple holds many relics including a famous painting depicting Buddhist nirvana, a painting of a dragon and a tiger, and a Christian lantern.

Myoshoji Temple was originally constructed in the Fuchu area in 1443.  However, in 1507 the temple was damaged in a fire during a period of war and moved to its current location the following year.

Daichoji Temple was constructed in 1606 by Miyazu Clan ruler Takatomo Kyogoku in the Suginosue area above “Inu no Do” (A hall built as a memorial to honor a loyal dog who appears in a local folk legend).  When Takamoto`s son Takahiro became clan ruler, the temple was moved to its current location.  The principal object of worship at the temple is the amida nyorai statue.

Kyoouji Temple was originally built in the Honjo area of Ine in 1602.  It was later moved and renamed “Kyoouji”.  On the temple grounds there is a statue of “Kishimojin” (A woman who according to legend used to steal and eat children until being admonished by Buddha after which she became a protector of children. She is now worshipped as the goddess of safe delivery for expectant mothers.) which many people come to visit on July 18th the day of the temple`s annual festival.  There is also a famous dragon painting in the center of the main temple building`s ceiling.

Honmyoji Temple was built in 1625 to commemorate the completion of Miyazu Castle when it was rebuilt by Takahiro Kyogoku.  The temple main hall was reconstructed in 1850 but the temple and its principal deities were destroyed in a fire in the spring of 1931.  Only the temple gate survived the fire.  The temple was later reconstructed to commemorate the 350th anniversary of its construction.  The temple is now fire and earthquake proof.

Spot Name Kanayadani Temples
Address 京都府宮津市金屋谷 [ Map ]
Opening Hours Open all hours
Regular Holiday None
Usage Fee Free
Reference Amanohashidate Tourism Association
TEL:TEL 0772-22-8030

image3 (3)

image7

image6

yawa4

image5 (2)

<Kanayadani Temples>Access Information
Location Map
京都府宮津市金屋谷
(*)Google Maps will open in a separate window.
Access A 15-20 minute walk from Miyazu train station
Parking Available but small
Nearby Spots
Category

Copyright © 2014 Sightseeing Spots -Amanohashidate Tourist Information. All rights reserved.